Wednesday, September 19, 2012

MDIA 4902 - Blog Post #4


While it is clear that online businesses are thriving and have many advantages, I also feel that brick and mortar stores are still going to be a mainstay in the marketing world. It is certainly tempting to establish an online business due to the lack of expenses such as rent and utilities, but I feel as though pigeonholing all businesses as being better off in an online setting is a bad idea in the marketing world. There are also advantages to brick and mortar stores as well, such as the ability to create an atmosphere in your stores and the possibility of face-to-face interactions. Also, many individuals simply don't prefer to shop online, and would rather have their goods in-hand at purchase.

If I were to operate a business, I would try to take measures to optimize the business to tap into both the online and brick and mortar markets. Many businesses have been successful in doing just this. For example, Apple products can be purchased online and in Apple retail locations. I feel as though this allows Apple to tap into the online shopping market with the ability to order and customize your product from your living room, but they also do a great job taking advantage of the things a physical location offers as well, as their retail stores are the epitome of great branding. If I were to run a business, I would follow suit and try to appeal to both business models.

No comments:

Post a Comment